If you are a snacker, you need to have these in your house! These little bites are way cleaner than cookies, but can still curb the sweet craving we all occasionally get. There are varying recipes you can utilize based on your taste buds and nutritional needs so check the internet for variations!
Peanut Butter Oat Balls (aka Energy Bites or *Nursing Superfood)
- 1/2 cup Krema Peanut Butter (our favorite local brand, as well as its sister brand Crazy Richards) but any natural pb – the drippier, the better – will work
- 1/4 cup honey (use a local brand if possible, supposedly this can help with pollen allergies and why not #shoplocal!?)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup protein powder OR 1/3 cup additional oats (for those that don’t want protein powder – some are not safe if pregnant or nursing)
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal (“meal” means grind up those seeds! We didn’t know this on the first batch oops!)
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (ok, let’s be real… dump in a few extra tablespoons!)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (make sure the brand is safe if pregnant or nursing)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix ingredients together, roll into balls and refrigerate until ready to serve/snack. They are delicious! They are also clean and full of benefits including protein, fiber, energy, antioxidants and omega3s (chia).
*Note: We referred to them as a ‘nursing superfood’ because some of the ingredients are known to helpful when it comes to milk supply, including oats and flax. Unless you are a milk goddess, if you are nursing a baby and working out, you are likely concerned with your supply! So make ’em, eat ’em and nurse away!
A few other delicious variations….
5 Minute Protein Peanut Butter Energy Bites by Ambitious Kitchen (very similar to the ones we made, but utilizes protein powder, coconut & lists nutrition information)
Gluten Free No Bake Peanut Butter Energy Balls (less sugar for those of you who are super disciplined!)