Eating a healthy diet is an important part of living a FIT lifestyle. Your definition of healthy may be different than someone else’s ~ organic, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, paleo, low carb, food pyramid, low sugar, yeesh! ~ and that’s ok!
I personally believe in all things in moderation. The 80/20 rule as we call it around here… eat clean 80% of the time and allow yourself some cheats… you have to enjoy life! I grew up with a mother that made me eat my vegetables, but I always looked forward to dessert. My maternal grandmother’s mottos were ‘never trust a skinny cook‘ and ‘life’s uncertain, eat dessert first‘ and we could always count on her to spoil us with treats. So although I love splurging on chocolate, carbs and red wine, I do know that eating healthy is important for staying fit, living longer and having more energy. To contradict her other mottos, my grandmother (& mom) also always said ‘a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips‘ and ‘nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.’ Talk about having a confusing childhood! 😉
- Peanut butter oat balls (aka ‘energy bites’ aka ‘nursing superfood’)
- Creamy [clean] Peanut Butter Dip variation from FitSugar & I Heart Vegetables
Recipes submitted by our runners, readers and followers…
- Cajun Peel & Eat Shrimp and Cocktail Sauce submitted by Peggy Bohn
- [Chicken] Lentil Soup submitted by Mahvish Ahmed and Josh Baluch
- Protein [recovery] smoothies by Jen Bondurant
- Pan Seared Salmon with Kale & Apple Salad by Sarah Kate P.
*If you have a favorite healthy or clean recipe, please share!*