“Live near the ocean and inhale the pure salt air” -lululemon manifesto
Don’t mind if we do!
We haven’t been writing much this week, but still living fit… in MEXICO! Swimming, lots of walking (slower paced sight seeing as well as some beach walks), and even got in a long run. And don’t forget, chasing around a toddler, that is a workout in and of itself!
My mom spoils us with a “big” spring break trip every few years so this year it was my husband, son, brother and mom. We stayed at a beautiful all-inclusive resort called Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen. It was amazing! It was minutes from the downtown/Fifth Avenue area, so great if you like being close to town. The only down side to this was it wasn’t prime location for beach front property… you could view the ocean, but the beach was very narrow and not swimmable. Didn’t bother us much though as the pool area was PERFECT and since we were traveling with a 14 month old, the pool was more ideal than a sandy beach anyhow. We spent a lot of time just walking around and exploring the beaches, shopping and hispanic culture.
The all-inclusive aspect was great with a toddler because food was available 24-7 with no lines or long wait times. BUT that means unlimited access to food, beverages and lots of calories. Oh well! #balance
However, there is no rest for the weary & no such thing as “down time” during vacation as both a mom and fitness lover/blogger! We spent a ton of time exploring and also some dedicated “work out” time….
- Saturday – arrived, casual walk on beach
- Sunday – 7.5 mile “run” on beach with my mom, training for the Capital City Half. PHEW! We did a slower pace, but got in a HARD workout with all the elements – sand, wind, jumping over ropes and rocks, wading through shin-high portions of beach… good training for an adventure race! If you aren’t on the beach, you could run on the street or even in the halls of your hotel. In Vegas once, I ran for 45 minutes down the hall, down the stairs, back up the stairs, repeat [it was WAY too hot to run outside and the hotel gym was $25 per day ~ no thank you!]. We used MapMyRun.com to route our course in case our Garmins didn’t get accurate signals along the coast.
My boys started and ended the run with us, but played and relaxed while we were out doing the hard, sweaty work. 🙂
- Monday – 20 min water aerobics, casual walk
- Tuesday – 30 min workout @ gym (arms and cardio intervals) – if there is no gym, do some intervals in your room!
- Wednesday – 2 mile walk in town; my mom did a one hour bike tour while I did 15 minutes legs poolside (squats, lifts, lunges… yes some people gave me looks, but doesn’t bother me!)
- Thursday – 3 mile run on beach, 1.5 mile walk
- Friday – 2 mile walk in town, 15 min water aerobics/laps
- Saturday – all good things must come to an end! 😦 Travel day = REST day
- Sunday – long run back at home (8 miles)
Throughout the week we also did a LOT of activity with this little guy including beach walks, soccer, dancing, and well…. just keeping up with a toddler that literally NEVER stops moving!
This is our third time visiting Mexico and we fall more in love each time we visit. I could definitely get used to the beach life.
Adios! Hasta luego!