FOOD –> Lan’s Lasagne
On last week’s long run, Lan was telling us about her constant hunger lately. Marathon training will do that to a girl.
She told us about her latest home-made lasagne dish that satisfied her hunger pains and gave her carbs she needed to make it through that 18 miler. She made it sound so fresh and delicious that we bugged her until she coughed up the recipe….
Total time = 1.5 hours Serves = 8-10
We kept it healthy by using all fresh, clean [organic] ingredients and whole grain noodles. Substitute or omit ingredients as you see fit based on preferences, dietary concerns, weight loss needs, etc. We also love extra sauce, so we actually used an extra can of crushed tomatoes.
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Meat option ~ 1.5 pounds sweet Italian turkey [or chicken] sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed (italian) parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tb kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 pound lasagne noodles, cooked or oven ready [we prefer whole grain, keepin’ it healthier!]
- 15 oz ricotta cheese [partial skim to save fat & calories]
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 XL egg, beaten
- 8-16 oz fresh mozzerella, thinly sliced [partial skim to save fat & calories, less cheese to save fat & calories]
- [we omitted goat cheese, but her recipe also called for 3-4 oz]
Preheat oven to 400. Heat olive oil in skillet, add onion and simmer for five min (low-med heat) until translucent. Add garlic, cook additional minute. Add sausage and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Add tomatoes, paste, 1/2 parsley, basil, pinch of salt.
In a bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup parmesan, egg, remaining parsley, remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
Ladle 1/3 of sauce into [greased] 9*13 baking dish.
Add layers as follows; noodles, 1/2 the mozzarella, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of sauce.
End with a layer of noodles, top with last 1/3 of sauce, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly!
It was DELICIOUS. Seriously.
If you wanted to be even healthier/cleaner, could probably do less cheese and more greens [perhaps spinach]. But hey, Lan runs 40 miles per week and does yoga #everydamnday so she can pretty much eat what she wants!
Have a healthy version? Or another favorite healthy or runner’s recipe? Send us ideas at LivingFitColumbus@gmail.com!
FITNESS –> RUN + YOGA challenge day 14
Didn’t have a ton of time today to get in a long yoga session, but squeeze it in where you can!
Several of us decided to #strikeapose wherever we were today and send to each other for some virtual motivation.
Here you go…
Today’s pose, Twisted Triangle.
Go ahead and strike a pose, wherever you are!!
Just joining us? Here is the 30 day RUN+YOGA challenge we have been doing…
Bye bye for now! Thanks for reading, and hopefully, striking a pose 🙂