Traveling, Holidays & Staying Fit [guest post by L Nguyen]
So for the second week in a row, Mahvish and I decided on a whim to go to Chicago a few weekends back, and I just went again for Thanksgiving. Having been traveling these past few weekends, we have taken some time to reflect on ourselves.
Have we taken the time to take care of our bodies?
Did we get our workouts in?
Are we being mindful and eating clean?
Many of us, when we travel, tend to fall off track of our healthy habits. Yes, it can sometimes be tricky and difficult when it’s quick to grab something from a fast food joint or junk food from a gas station. From experience, it is definitely a challenge to stay in routine while traveling, even for a short weekend. Needless to say, we made sure we tried our best to stay on top of our A-Game. It was an added bonus to have someone around to keep the other in check! Being busy (from work, etc) and tired (not enough sleep!) pose problems of their own. So here are some tips for “on the go” to keep track of your fit routine and healthy habits:
- Eat as clean as possible, as much as possible. When eating out, it’s ok to splurge, but try not to over indulge to a point where you can’t breathe! One night, we did tapas so we could try a little bit of everything. 🙂
- Carry protein packed snacks & nibble on healthy snacks when you can. We love nuts, Larabars, dried fruit, banana chips, trail mix, sugar snap peas, mini sweet peppers with hummus & fresh fruit.
- Drink plenty of water! (Disclaimer: except for when driving long distances, try not to inhale a liter of Perrier sparkling water within a half hour. You WILL have to make pit stops every 45minutes to every hour! But hey, breaks are good too!)
- Get enough sleep and don’t rely only running on caffeine.
- Find a local yoga studio to take a class or two. While in Chicago, we took a class with Carmen at The Lab and a couple sculpt classes at CorePower!
- Get out and squeeze a run in, even for a few miles. Its a great way to check out a new place while getting a workout in! Look into a local running group and perhaps do a run with them.
- Take some Airborne tablets. And/or enjoy hot tea or hot water with lemons as a simple detox. Traveling and not sleeping enough can wear down your body, I got sick after returning from one of my many trips.
Remember, we aren’t, by any means, experts. These tips are just a few ideas that kept us from getting sidetracked from our goal(s) of taking care of ourselves.
How do you stay on track of your fit routine when traveling? Feel free to share with us any ideas!
Stay tuned later this week for details on our winter fitness challenge!